• 855-600-6653

Building at DeLand Campus at Daytona State College Closed Due to Mold

A business building on the DeLand campus of Daytona State College has been closed while mold contamination in more than half of the rooms is being dealt with.

Mold was found in 16 of the building’s 33 rooms, and while the levels are lower than what usually causes illness, they are high enough to cause problems for those who suffer from allergies, who have respiratory conditions, or who have compromised immune systems.

A professor at the DeLand Campus business building said that the believed the college did not respond quickly enough to complaints that were issued about the “sick building.”  Employees who work in the building have been moved to different offices while the school makes the necessary remediation, which includes replacing the air conditioning units and carpeting, repainting, and adding filters. Hopes are that the building will be reopened within the coming months.

Mold is a fungus that thrives in damp, warm, and dark conditions. While it generally isn’t problematic in nature, indoor mold growth can cause a number of problems. Mold spores are airborne and they can travel indoors through open windows, doors, cracks, and even on shoes and clothing. Once the spores make their way indoors, if the conditions are right, they can begin go colonize and spread. That’s when issues can arise.

Exposure to mold can cause various health complications. Symptoms include runny nose, watery eyes, skin irritation, headaches, chronic fatigue, coughing, and even respiratory infections and illnesses. While people who have underlying medical conditions, such as allergies, compromised immune systems, and respiratory illnesses, such as asthma and COPD are most at-risk, otherwise healthy people can also be affected by mold exposure and experience symptoms.

When a local news station contacted Daytona State College to inquire about the mold conditions in the business building of the DeLand campus, more detailed information regarding the condition of the building were not confirmed. Therefore, the levels of mold contamination, the type of mold, or the cause of mold growth is not publicly known. However, it can be assumed that there were high moisture levels within the building, and that mold levels, while lower than what would typically cause illness in most people, were high enough to cause adverse health effects that warranted the closure of the business building.

When troubling levels of mold spores are found indoors, taking fast action is imperative. The longer the mold is left unchecked, the worse the problem will become. Even if mold spore levels are low, they will continue to colonize, and eventually, a more serious problem can develop.

Mold Inspection & Testing Daytona Beach has years of experience performing mold tests and inspections in all types of buildings in the Daytona Beach area. Whether it’s through MI&T or another reputable third-party mold testing company, we strongly recommend that all property owners arrange to have regular mold inspections performed. The high humidity levels in Daytona Beach make it the prime location for indoor mold growth.

logos