Mold has been discovered growing in the shower of a Cleveland Clinic Hillcrest Hospital room.
“I saw horrific and spreading black mold the second I walked in that bathroom,” said a family member of the patient in the hospital room where the mold was found. “Through the sides, coming through the crevices, and it looks like climbing up the corner of the facility.”
The woman, who asked to remain anonymous, said that she told a nurse about the mold and light cleaning was done to try and get rid of it.
“I’ve always known Cleveland Clinic to have the best facilities,” the woman said. “So I was quite shocked to see that.”
When the woman brought the issue to a local news station, the new station reached out the Cleveland Clinic and shared pictures with a spokesperson from the hospital. In response to the news station’s contact, the hospital released a statement, which read:
“Our goal is to provide the highest quality experiences for each patient. Once we became aware of the concern, the shower stall was immediately cleaned and all other patient rooms were checked. This was isolated to one shower stall in one room, which is now scheduled to be replaced. This is not the experience we want our patients to have and we have taken immediate steps to address the situation.”
The patient was moved from the Cleveland Clinic Hillcrest Hospital to a short stay rehabilitation center. The patient’s family member, who reported the problem to the local news station, said that she hopes that this type of situation never happens to any other patient again.
“This is a place where people are fragile. Their health is of utmost concern,” said the patient’s family member.
Mold thrives in moist, damp, warm areas. Showers offer a very hospitable environment for mold growth. While it’s not uncommon for mold to grow in showers, it is shocking to find that it was growing at such a severe level in a hospital.
Exposure to indoor mold growth is known to cause a number of health complications. Side effects include nasal congestion, skin irritation, watery eyes, headaches, chronic fatigue, coughing, and respiratory health issues. While anyone can be affected by mold, those who suffer from mold allergies or who have pre-existing respiratory illnesses are the most prone to complications. In severe cases, exposure to certain types of mold can lead to death.
Patients in a hospital, who are already medically frail, may be highly sensitive to mold growth and can suffer from potentially severe complications.
Mold Testing & Inspection Cleveland has ample experience testing for indoor mold growth in health care facilities, including hospitals. Whether it’s through MI&T or another third-part testing company, we highly recommend all health care facilities have mold testing performed on a regular basis to ensure the safety of their patients and staff. Early detection can prevent severe complications. To speak with a representative from MI&T, please call 216.202.0082.