A mother residing at Marbella Apartments is voicing her concern about mold penetrating her apartment unity. The woman, who wishes to remain anonymous, said that mold is growing through the walls in the unit located directly underneath hers. She alleges that the management of the apartment complex did not warn her about the problem.
The mother said that she and her family have lived in their apartment for nearly a year, and in that time, they were never made aware of the potentially toxic mold. The woman has a 10-month-old son and is 6 months pregnant. She said a neighbor discovered the mold growth after she found the door opened, looked inside, and notified the anonymous woman.
“I felt disgusted. I didn’t even want to be in there. I was scared I was probably going to fall through,” said the expectant mother.
She said that the apartment is completed covered in mold. It’s growing on the walls, the cabinets, the doors, and the floors. For obvious reasons, she is concerned that the mold in the unit is the reason why her 10-month-old son is been sick on a constant basis.
“He’s been coughing and stuff like that,” the woman said. “I take him to the hospital and they’ll say well, he’s congested, and his cough sounds bad.”
She is also afraid that the mold may have penetrated through the unit below hers and that it could be growing inside her own apartment.
“They probably have it back here, too, and they just covered it,” the woman said.
At the present time, the family is staying with the woman’s parents until they can find a new place to live. She said that she is speaking out about the issue because she wants to warn others who are currently living in the apartment complex or who may be interested in moving into the complex and could be potentially affected by the mold growth.
A local news station contacted Marbella Apartments. A representative of the apartment complex told the news station that they have crews working on the problem and that they will have it fixed soon.
Mold is a naturally occurring substance. It’s all around us. In the natural world, it usually isn’t harmful and it is actually beneficial. However, airborne mold spores can travel indoors, where they thrive in moist, damp conditions. Once mold colonizes indoors, it can become problematic. Not only does it cause structural damage, but it can also cause health issues. Symptoms associated with mold exposure include nasal congestion, runny nose, watery eyes, chronic cough, skin irritation, and in severe cases, it can even cause respiratory infections. Those who are allergic to mold and who have underlying respiratory issues are most at risk for complications as a result of mold exposure; however, anyone can develop health issues.
Mold Inspection & Testing Corpus Christi has been conducting mold tests in apartment complexes for years. We strongly encourage the owners of Marbella Apartments to have regular mold testing performed in their units to protect the health and well-being of their residents. To speak with an MI&T representative, call 361.445.4090.